Monday 24 August 2009

Ashton-under-Lyne, Dukinfield Junction





















Took a bike trip down the canal, here is the Portland Basin, the junction of three canals. Ashton Canal, Huddersfield Narrow Canal and the Peak Forest Canal. Martin could point out that actually the Huddersfield Canal starts a little bit further on, but I have poetic licence here :-)

I moved to Ashton late 2005, and I've still never been to the Portland Basin Museum. I intend to put that right soon. Probably.

More history here.

3 comments:

  1. Martin *will* point out that the Huddersfield Narrow Canal starts half a mile away at Whitelands!

    Maybe I should also point out (for the pedants) that the Peak Forest Canal actually starts on the other side of the aqueduct over the River Tame!

    The museum is well worth a visit, but not on Mondays, as it is closed then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right. That's me told. I'll be off to the museum, with pen and notepad as soon as possible. Obviously I need some further education on the ins and outs of our Ashton waterways.

    ReplyDelete